Is It Too Late?

Who I am does not matter. What my name is does not matter. What really matters is that for last 30 years I have been an accomplice in murdering chickens, lambs, cows, pigs, goats, sea animals, and I don't know how many other animals. I am not saying that I didn't know what I was eating. I knew I was eating the meat, it is just that I was unaware how these poor animals were treated and murdered. Yes! I knew these were dead animals but I could not connect the dots between meat in a package and the living being who was killed.

I remember when I was a little girl in India, and will go with my father or mother to the butcher to buy chicken. The butcher will get the chicken out of the crate to kill it. The crates were cramped with other chickens. The chicken would flutter in the butcher's hands, as if it was pleading to the butcher to let it live but chicken's end was written. The butcher will put the chicken on the wooden log and cut the chicken's head. In 1/1000th of the second the poor chicken went from alive to dead. This experience would torment me. I remember swearing there and then that I would never eat chicken again. We would go home and mum would make the yummiest chicken dish ever, which would put me back on eating chicken.

You will ask then why a sudden change of heart after 30 years. So here it is why. Last year we got a puppy. Well, I always had dogs in my life but didn't experience what I experienced last year. I was working on a food product (canned chicken). So, for work I went to a co-packer for a chicken project. There for the first time I experienced a slaughter house.It was so barbaric! The co-packer company assured me that chickens were killed humanely. How was that humane, I don't even know where to begin to explain. I will write about it in my other posts. But in every chicken, whose throat was being slit by a sharp, hot, metal blade, I saw my puppy's eyes in the chickens' eyes. I felt so sick. I would never let anyone hurt my puppy. Even now I remember the smell of that slaughter house- smell of death and murder. After that experience I didn't eat any chicken for a month. But old habit die hard! Right? I was back to eating chicken and the rest of the meats.

Another incident that happened was in Spain. Last month I vacationed in Spain. So like any tourist I wanted to experience bull fighting. Now let me tell you, I had no idea that bulls were brutally tortured and killed in front of everybody, and people cheered every time that bull was wounded. My idea of bull fighting was that it was an art, where this Matador flows this red cloth in front of the bull and the bull got angry. Thats what I thought. Not in million years I thought that the bull was murdered in the ring. But no words can describe the horrifying experience that bull goes through. I saw the first bullfight and I starting crying, and we left the bull ring. In two hours 6 bulls are usually murdered. And everywhere we went in spain, I saw pigs' legs hanging from doors, and ceilings. I made a pact then that I will do something about the bull torture. After watching bull fighting I tried not to eat any meat. I was not 100% successful even then. But when I cam back from vacation, just for curiosity I went on PETA's (People of Ethical Treatment of Animals) website, and what I saw made me realize that I am 100% responsible in the murdering of these innocent animals. I, then became a vegetarian! Also, for last 5 months I have been buying organic food.

I am using this media to share my thoughts, and in return, stay strong and never eat meat ever again. I don't want to murder any more animals and make these innocent animals my meal. So dear friends please support me in my cause. This is a choice and it is against animal cruelty and murder. So GOD help me!

3 comments:

  1. ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT! WRITTEN SO TRUTHFULLY. I'M SO PROUD OF YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great going!!
    All the best....changing habbits is bit difficult but not impossible.Some day I will follow you. :)

    ReplyDelete